ESSEX GOLF UNION
Code of Conduct for Players Representing the County of Essex in U18 Teams and Coaching Squads
You have been selected as a member of the County Coaching Scheme or as a player to represent Essex . This is an honour and The Essex Golf Union and the County Coaches are committed to give you all the help and advice they can to help you to play well, make the most of your talent and to enjoy the game.
As a young golfer taking part in an Essex Golf Union activity, you should:
- Help create and maintain an environment free of fear and harassment
- Demonstrate fair play and apply golf’s standards both on and off the course
- Understand that you have the right to be treated as an individual
- Respect the advice that you receive
- Treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself
- Look out for yourself and for the welfare of others
- Speak out (to your parents or a County representative) if you consider that you or others have been poorly treated
- Be organised and on time
- Tell someone in authority if you are leaving the venue
- Accept that these guidelines are in place for the well-being of all concerned
- Treat organisers and coaches with respect
- Observe instructions or restrictions requested by the adults looking after you
You should not take part in any irresponsible, abusive, inappropriate or illegal behaviour which includes:
- Using foul language
- Publicly using critical or disrespectful descriptions of others either in person or through text, email or social network sites
- Consuming alcohol, illegal performance-enhancing drugs or stimulants
You must accept a number of important responsibilitiblies as well, you agree to:
- Make a serious commitment to your County and be prepared to learn from your Coaches. Take heed of your Coach's instructions and work hard on your game in play and in practice. You are expected to support the County by playing in as many as possible of those County events for which you are selected.
- Attend all of your Coaching and Competition Sessions. If for very good reason you are not able to be present, then you must contact your Team Manager as early as possible and inform him. Please advise you Team Manager of any medical conditions that may effect your performance.
- Non-attendance at Coaching will affect team selection and your squad place will be put in jeopardy.
- You are expected to be taking lessons from your own choice of Home Golf Coach. The County reserve the right (usually via a County Coach) to consult your Home Coach to discuss your progress and to possibly help with your development. Please supply a telephone number for this purpose and inform your Home Coach.
- If you are selected to take part in a match against another County you must notify your Team Manager of your availability as soon as possible. It is essential that you do this. Notification will be by e-mail. Please ensure that you provide a well monitored email address. If you are not available, then a reserve has to be found. The longer you take to respond, the more difficult this becomes. We expect you to be organised and punctual.
- For some Away matches, your Manager will make arrangements for transport.
- If you change your address, telephone number, or e-mail, you must notify your Manager as soon as possible
- You must conform to certain standards of dress and conduct & you must follow the County dress codes rules.
We expect you to:
- Respect all differences in gender, disability, culture, race and religion, we will not tolerate bad behaviour or predudice to any others, We will not tolerate foul or abusive language or bullying, this includes social media websites, texting as well as face to face bullying. If you have any concerns then please speak to your Team Manager.
- Remember that not only your Club but the County of Essex will be judged by the way in which you conduct yourself.
- Failure in this regard is considered serious and disciplinary action will be taken against those who do not meet the high standard required. A serious breach may result in dismissal from the Scheme.
The Essex Golf Union website and social media pages will often display images and video of golfing activities, including coaching days, county competitions and functions organised by the Essex Golf Union. The Essex Golf Union will take steps to ensure these images are used solely for the purposes for which they are intended i.e. the promotion and celebration of the activities of County Golf. If you become aware that these images are being used inappropriately you should inform the Golf Welfare Officer or The Essex Golf Union office immediately.
The photographs may be available on the website http://essexgolfunion.org as well as published on various forms of social media sites such as Facebook & Twitter. If at any time either the player, parent/guardian or the child wishes the data to be removed from the website and social media sites, 7 days’ notice must be given to the Golf Welfare Officer after which the data will be removed.
Golfing priorities after family and education should always be: FIRST COUNTRY - THEN COUNTY - THEN CLUB - THEN SELF!